Thursday, March 15, 2007

15 March 2007 Getting a Driving Licence in Florida.


Getting a Driving Licence in Florida.
Step one: turn up in person at the driving licence office.
Step two: Fill out an app form (well they do that for you)
that was easy I thought. Too soon
Step three: Show proof of identity, that was ok passport and UK driving licence
Step four: give address where the licence can be mailed to. . . . . . . . oops. Well we did that – I may come back to that as it got quite interesting at that point)
Step five Photo taken
Step six: Just step over to the computer and answer a few questions about driving in Florida. Well there were 40 questions, you could afford to get 10 wrong, about the highway code and signs - I passed, although the question about what to do if you hit someone’s car when they were not there puzzled me a bit. I did fail on the question which asked what is the minimum distance an oncoming car must be before you must dip your lights
All in all I thought I had done pretty well, so I went back to the desk to collect my licence. . . . . . ..
Step seven: “when would you like to come back for the practical test Sir?”
9.15 the next day saw me practising 3 point turns and parking in a space.
At 9.30 I took the practical test – passed of course, but it was slightly nerve racking.
I am now the proud owner of a Florida driving licence.
I now have the I.D required to buy a car, as Ken pointed out, when you register your car you can use the Florida licence as proof of who you are – you don’t need to be a resident.

No comments:

Post a Comment